Saturday, January 10, 2009

The heat is off

On the first Sunday of each month, my church (or as many as remember!) gather at 9.15 am for an early breakfast together. I arrived there at 8.30 to begin the preparations and the first thing I do is switch the heating on. The weather was lousy, it was exceedingly cold and not really the time to be out early. But hey, life would be dull if everything was always going well.
The breakfast got undr way and was going well when there was a sudden dip in the temperature. Yes, you've guessed it, the heating had packed up. O.K., the system is old, the boiler is slowly dying and the heat does not really reach the back room, so why does it pack up on the coldest day of the new year even though it is totally useless?
Following the breakfast we shared communion together and then after a short break we gathered for our morning celebration. It was to be a special time as the leadership would be launching the church vision for the next five years. We stood and shivered our way through the praise and worship and then sat as Iain began to launch the vision. Despite the cold, the message was really inspiring (and I knew what was in the vision plan!) It's going to be a time of having our faith stretched, launching new ministries, committing our time and talents to be used by God. There are bound to be a few (I hope) surprises along the way. God is a God of the unexpected!!
A complete change of subject now. During this week I totted up the statistics for the food bank. From when we began on 17/12/07 to Monday 05/01/09 (53 weeks) we have been able to support a total of 632 people, including 172 children.
This would not have been possible without the dedication and commitment of our team of volunteers. So, although they may not read this blog I would like to say a sincere thank you to Jill, Pauline, Pat, Brian, James and Rob for all their hard work during this time.
Till the next blog.

No comments: